Open Hardware Summit 2018 @ MIT September 27th

This is the place for Summit related questions, coordinating meetups, and everything else OHS 2018 related!

FYI - OSH Park will be producing electronic conference badges for the 2018 Open Hardware Summit.

I have created a project on hackaday.io and would appreciate any feedback from the community on the current concept:

The current concept is based on the ESP trINKet by Mike Rankin:

Features for the OHS18 badge:

• ESP32 microcontroller with built-in WiFi and BLE
  • E-Paper to display the badge wearer’s name
  • Use Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to allow badge wearer to update the displayed text from an Android or iOS phone
  • Powered by 2x AAA batteries

Budget: $25 per badge
(that will have to include components, batteries, PCB, assembly, lanyard, packaging)

Production plan:
The goal is to produce quantity 300 by September 1st. The badge circuit boards will be pick-n-place assembled by a professional assembly service. A test jig will need to be created for the assembler to test the badges.

Hardware tasks:

• reproduce the ESP trINKet design in KiCad (Mike Rankin’s design was done in Altium)
  • modify the ESP trINKet design to use 3x AAA for power instead of LiPo

Design tasks:

• create an atheistic design for the badge including artwork and shape

Software/Firmware tasks:

• proof of concept demo on ESP32 using BLE to set the text on the e-paper display

Production/Supply Chain tasks:

• decide on which e-paper display to use (current choice is Waveshare 2.13" display)
  • create a plan for provisioning the badges and how the badge wearer will connect to their badge over BLE
  • talk with assembly company to figure out best way to assembly badge with epaper display (use connector or directly solder the ribbon cable)

Thanks!
Drew
drew@oshpark.com

This sounds awesome Drew!! I don’t have any feedback yet but I’ll read into it more! We are working on getting a place to have all the OSHWA materials sent to in Boston this week, I’ll update once we get the address.

Best,

Caleb

I checked the badge’s reference project on Github. I attached an image below for people to get an idea of what the reference looks like. Will the enclosure for the badge be 3D printed as well?

Hi, thanks for posting. I had not planned on having an enclosure but I would be open to the idea.

I want the final board design to have an interesting shape (board outline). I am not very good at mechanical design so I had not considered designing an enclosure. However, it would be awesome if someone was interested in designing one.

First I think we need to figure out the aesthetic for the PCB, both in terms of outline and artwork (silk and/or copper).

The manufacture of 300 enclosure would also have to be figured out. and if laser cutting or 3d printing is the best approach.

Alternatively, I suppose it would be cool if we had the enclosure design in the GitHub repo for people to fabricate themselves if they wanted.

thanks!
drew

@nemesis_c thanks, I have just created a project log about enclosure design

awesome will continue the chat for the badge there!
In case anybody want to follow here is the link for the thread on the badge I will link to it at the end of this post.
So far the badge will have:

• ESP32 microcontroller with built-in WiFi and BLE
  • E-Paper to display the badge wearer’s name
  • Use Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to allow badge wearer to update the displayed text from an Android or iOS phone