Full funding for PhD in Open Hardware

Hi Everyone - I just started a new faculty position at Western University in Canada -a top 1% global university. My mandate is to spin up an internationally-leading free and open source hardware lab – Free Appropriate Sustainable Technology (FAST) research group.

We are interested in exploring the way solar photovoltaic technology can sustainably power our society and open source appropriate technologies and RepRap 3-D printing can drive distributed recycling and additive manufacturing (DRAM) (and maybe even social change).

I have several fully funded PhD lines available now/starting in the near future. This means free tuition even for non-Canadians and a competitive stipend. If you are interested, please follow these directions to apply. Top students interested in a MSc will also be considered.

Hi Joshua,

That’s great! We offer our online services for free for board designs that go open source. The test results are shared with the public as well. Let me know if you’re interested in discussing.

Pete Staples

Thanks Pete - that sounds amazing! - We have a host of new devices that would be a good fit - would you please email me at joshua.pearce@uwo.ca so we can discuss the details. - Thanks Joshua