OHS 2018 Boston Events Thread

Discuss events happening around the area during Summit week!

Stay tuned at http://2018.oshwa.org/events/ for more news.

Anyone interested in an MIT Alumni / Student event at OHS18?
I’ve asked the MIT Alumni Association if they would consider sponsoring an after-hours get together.

• Wayne Seltzer (MIT '81)

If you’d like to set up a meetup group or similar let me know and I can add it to the events page. I would also post up on social media to get the word out if you would like to coordinate the event.

OK, we have an MIT alumni and current student after party in the works.
Meadhall, 90 Broadway, Cambridge. 7:00-9:00.

The MIT alumni association will buy everyone’s first beverage and will order a round of appetizers.

Contact Wayne Seltzer (seltzer@alum.mit.edu) with questions.

Caleb: Can you add this to the events page?
Thanks,
Wayne

@wseltzer is this on Sept. 27th (the day of the Summit)?

FYI - there is already After Party at Artisans Asylum makerspace sponsored by Kickstarter:
http://2018.oshwa.org/events/

FYI - I have setup a pre-Summit fundraiser to benefit the Ada Lovelace Fellowship:

Pre Open Hardware Summit meetup and Ada Lovelace Fellowship fundraiser at Artisan’s Asylum

DATE AND TIME:
Wed, September 26, 2018
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT

10 Tyler Street
Somerville, MA 02143

The annual Open Hardware Summit (OHS) will occur on Thursday, September 27th, at MIT. Local makerspace Artisan’s Asylum and staff member Jimmie Rodgers have agreed to host a meetup for those that are in town for the OHS.

This event is free to attend but donations are encouraged to the Ada Lovelace Fellowship

Yes, MIT Alumni after-party also on Sep 27. Last year, there were also multiple after parties, so it’s all good.

I’ll go ahead and throw it on the events page, thank you for organizing this event!

As a warm up for the Open Hardware Summit, the team from ReacciĂłn from El Salvador will teach how to build a minimal version of their mesh network developed to connect rural communities in an early warning system for natural disasters. Come and learn how to hand-assemble and test a small functional mesh network and discuss the potential of communication systems in rural or impoverished settings for community development.

The workshop is intended for enthusiasts of electronics and mesh networks. The workshop will be facilitated by Mario Gómez, founder of Hackerspace San Salvador and head developer at Reacción. We expect to spend the afternoon making, hacking, and playing. Check more of Reacción’s work. If you don’t have previous experience on PCB building: Don’t worry you can join this workshop too!!

Date: September 26th, 1-5pm.
What to bring: Your laptop (optional)

Due to space limitations we have limited seats, so please register here.

Perfect Purple Boards Produced Promptly courtesy of OSHPark.com

Hi,
Where would it be recommended to park for the conference at MIT this Thursday?
Is there free parking on MIT campus or close by off campus? If not what parking locations are recommended?

Thanks,
Greg